The learners will work cooperatively to pack items they would need if they
were stranded on a deserted island.
- Split class into 4–6 groups.
- Explain to students that they will be stranded on a deserted island for one month, and they must choose 10
real items that they will take with them.
- The students will work cooperatively to create a list that all participants agree upon. (Teacher determines
- The students will present the list to the class and explain why they chose the specific items.
- Conclude by discussing the difficulties of “packing” items cooperatively as a group.
End your community meeting by informing your students about the schedule of the day.
Send home directions for the “Survival Shopping” activity. Encourage families to
work cooperatively to create a list of items they would need to survive should they get stranded or involved in a
natural disasterDownload Letter