Traveling to Respect City
The learners will discuss ways to show respect by traveling to Respect City.
- Students sit in a circle.
- The teacher will explain that the students will be traveling to Respect City today.
- Students are able to go to Respect City by stating a way they will show respect (i.e., saying please, saying thank you, saying you’re
welcome, picking up trash, recycling paper, feeding the dog). They must also repeat previous ways others will show respect. (Use list
of respectful acts from CM20.)
Anna Kate: “I’m going to Respect City and I’m going to show respect by saying ‘please.’”
Jonathan: “I’m going to Respect City and I’m going to show respect by saying ‘please’ and by feeding my dog.”
Amanda: "I’m going to Respect City and I’m going to show respect by saying ‘please,’ by feeding my dog, and by holding a door open for
- This continues until the last student in the circle has repeated all of the ways to show respect listed and adds one of their own.
- Conclude by encouraging students to practice one or two of the ways listed to show respect that day.
Hint: Since it might be difficult to think of several different ways to show respect and difficult for Kindergarteners to remember many different things, feel free to break into smaller groups, or write respectful ideas on chart paper.
End your community meeting by informing your students about the schedule of the day.
Send home directions for the “Traveling to Respect City” activity. Encourage families to discuss ways to be respectful in their own homes or communities.Download Letter