Notice and Wonder
(Depending on amount of time you have for Community Meetings, this may take two meetings.)
The learners will:
- silently observe multiple pictures of acts of kindness noticing and wondering what is happening.
- discuss what they noticed and wondered about, explaining the acts of kindness they saw in the examples.
- Gather pictures of people performing kind acts for other people, and the earth.
- Place the pictures around the room to represent an art gallery.
- Instruct the students on how to do a gallery walk.
- Gallery walks are done in groups or partners
- Students are to notice and wonder about what is happening in the pictures.
- Give students 2–3 minutes at each picture to give them time to fully examine them.
- **It is important not to tell the kids what they are “supposed” to be looking for. Let them discover it for
themselves during the gallery walk. Keep reminding the students to notice and wonder.
- After students have examined each photo, bring them back to circle. (If you must split between two
community meetings, this would be an appropriate place to stop.)
- Discuss what students noticed and what they wondered about the photos.
- Point out that all pictures show kindness to people, animals, and the environment.
- Define kindness and discuss how students can show kindness to all living things.
End your community meeting by informing your students about the schedule of the day.
Send home the directions for the “Notice and Wonder” art gallery. Encourage families to have a gallery walk “noticing and wondering” acts of kindness in their own family pictures and family picture albums.Download Letter