Follow the Rules
(Great lesson for the beginning of the year)
Being a responsible person means you know and follow society’s rules.
The learners will:
- identify the rules within a game.
- understand it is their responsibility to know and follow the rules.
- create and/or reevaluate a set of classroom rules.
- The teacher will begin by using the game of baseball as an example. (Or any other popular game that the
students may like.)
- The teacher will ask the students how to play the game and how do they know this information.
- Next, the teacher will ask the students what rules they follow during the game.
- Tie in how it is the responsibility of the players and umpires to make sure that the rules are followed because
if they are not, conflict can arise.
- From this, the students and the teacher will create a list of rules to “play by” in their classroom. If the
classroom already has a set of rules, the class may revisit them and their importance at this time.
Hint: Maybe a rule needs to be added to the classroom rules for a particular time of the year. Also, if you are
starting “centers” or “stations,” you may want to set some specific rules.
- Conclude by emphasizing that it is their responsibility to know and understand the rules.