Persevering Despite Disabilities
- Jim Abbott: He Beat the Odds book
Persevering even when the odds are against you.
The learners will research ways people and animals with disabilities persevere through different challenges.
- Students will select a disability that they would like to research (i.e., cerebral palsy, mental handicaps, deaf,
- While they are researching, students will list their findings on the following T-Chart.
Persevering with a Disability:
- If possible, the students could interview someone with their selected disability or a person that
has a pet with a disability.
- Students will present their findings in a creative way (poster, paper, PowerPoint, etc.) to the class.
- The learners will read the story, Jim Abbot: He Beat the Odds. On a three column chart, list ways Jim responded to the following: living without a right hand, ways he cooperated to learn new skills, and the
ways he showed respect to others.